Faculty Opportunities: Digital Fellowships
Application due by 12 noon on Friday, June 15, 2018
The Office of the Provost is making available Digital Fellowships to full-time and adjunct faculty for the 2018-2019 academic year. The goal of the program is to research and apply mobile technology through the use of iPads® and digital resources to improve student learning outcomes, student persistence and completion.
“A growing body of evidence is demonstrating that technologies, when used effectively by faculty and student advisors, can personalize learning at unprecedented scale potentially enabling all students – not just those who are able to attend the most elite, expensive colleges – to get the best and most effective education at a reasonable price.” Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Digital Learning (https://postsecondary.gatesfoundation.org/areas-of-focus/innovation/digital-learning/)
Digital fellows will research and train in the use of iPads in the classroom.
The fellows will then assess the impact of the digital intervention upon student learning in at least one of the Texas core objectives:
- critical thinking
- quantitative reasoning
- personal responsibility
- social responsibility
The assessments will utilize a common rubric design based on the VALUE rubrics of the American Association of Colleges and Universities. (http://www.aacu.org/value/rubrics)
- Implement instructional strategies for delivery of content, practice, interaction, or assessment.
- Research and select a digital product, strategy, or tool/resource
- Implement the selected digital product, strategy, or tool/resource in a gateway or core course
- Assess the impact of the digital intervention upon student learning in at least one of the Texas Core Objectives
- Design and deliver a faculty summer institute on mobile digital learning and technology
Program Timeline and Format
Fall 2018 – 30 Hours
Compensation: $1,000 stipend
Research, Development and Training
The program will include monthly meetings in-person and online interaction in Blackboard ® totaling 30 hours.
- August 24 - Welcome and Program Launch, iPad Basics, Texas Core Objectives
- September 21 - Overview and Research Examples of Successful iPad Initiatives
- October 19 - Instructional strategies for mobile learning with iPads
- November 9 - Digital Resources for iPads
- December 7 – Finalize project plans and logistics for spring courses
Spring 2019 – One Course Release or Equivalent
Compensation: 3 LEH release time for FT faculty or equivalent stipend for adjunct faculty
Implement intervention, gather data on effect, conduct analysis of results and develop improvement plan
Online interactions and Web Conferences will be scheduled as needed.
- January 11 – Project and Semester Kick-Off Meeting
- February - Monitor student progress
- March - Monitor student progress
- April - Gather preliminary data on implementation, student outcomes, Texas core objective outcomes, and post findings in Blackboard©
- May - Gather final data on implementation, student outcomes, Texas core objective outcomes, and post findings in Blackboard®. Meet to plan faculty institute and develop corresponding Blackboard® site
- June - Host faculty Summer Institute led by the Digital Fellows
Summer 2019 – 30 hours
Compensation: $1,000 stipend
Presentation of Faculty Summer Institute (June, 2019)
Dates to be determined.